Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Grandpa's Birthday

Darren's parents (a.k.a. grandpa and grandma) visited us for a couple of days.

On Sunday, we visited the Franklin Park Conservatory to see the butterflies. It was a gorgeous day!!! We enjoyed walking around the gardens and seeing the butterflies. They have a koi pond so Ella was able to feed the fish too. Sadly, I forgot the camera...rookie mistake!

On Monday, I worked. Sigh.

The rest of the gang ran some errands and visited a local park for a quick hike. Later that day we went out to dinner at The Pub to celebrate Grandpa's birthday. After dinner, we came home and surprised him with a Suisse Almond cake from The Suisse Shop Bakery. Drooly pictures here! YUMMY!



I love when Ella sings Happy Birthday. Happy dur-bay to you!!! She pretends to blow out the candles at the end of the song. Must find video camera!!!

Tuesday was my usual day to work at home...I swear I worked, really, I did!
Right after we got home from visiting Ye Old Mill - the velvet ice cream factory.

This place is pretty neat...they have a "tour" of the ice cream factory. Really it is a big glass window and behind that is the machinery of goodness - they don't let you in (probably had too many people trying to climb into the vats of ice cream - I know I would be one of them). They have lots of old ice cream equipment on display and a museum of old ice cream related stuff. They also have a walking trail and playground and a pond with ducks and fish.

Most importantly, they have an ice cream shop.

Darren enjoyed a root beer float with his lunch and then ordered a sampler...5 scoops of different ice creams (he claims to be ice creamed out but I don't think that is truly possible). Grandma and Grandpa split an ice cream sampler as well. I had a delicious chocolate soda and Ella had a scoop of vanilla plus her fair share from the samplers.

I would tell you the 10 flavors we, er they, had but I can't remember them all.

Or can I...

mint chocolate chip, butter pecan, strawberry cheesecake, peppermint, vanilla, lemon cream pie, strawberry, cherry cordial, orange sherbet, and black raspberry.
Apparently I can remember. :)

Turns out, this is a very drooly post.

Ella, Darren and I made a stepping stone for Grandma for Mother's Day. We probably should've done it earlier in the visit as it needs a few days to dry. Fingers crossed it survives the car ride home.


Grandpa and Grandma left early this morning to make the journey home. We will see them again in just a few months as we plan to visit them this summer.

And on that note...some pictures...
Corn statue at ice cream place...I can't remember the story on the corn statues but there are more of these throughout Ohio...maybe someone who knows will leave a comment...
Holding Grandpa's hand
feeding the ducks and fish
on the nature trail

just cute...don't mind the horribly mismatched outfit - we had a diaper incident. :)
more feeding ducks

1 comment:

  1. You must attend Velvet's ice cream festival May 23-25 this year. We took the girls last year and they had a blast! http://www.velveticecream.com/ice_cream_festival.asp
    I love the stepping stone.

    ReplyDelete